Avanti Mini Extruder allows researchers and scientists to prepare large, unilamellar vesicles by extrusion in an efficient manner.
- Prepare large, unilameller vesicles (LUVs) by extrusion in an easy, rapid, and efficient manner.
- Design allows for the rapid cleaning of all wetted parts, reducing “down-time” between production of vesicles from different lipid species
- Generate uniform populations of unilamellar liposomes without the use of solvents or detergents
- Vesicle size readily controlled by polycarbonate membrane selection
The Avanti Mini-Extruder is constructed of stainless steel and Teflon; the new design is guaranteed to give years of trouble-free service and is available for a fraction of the cost of a larger extruder.
- Available for a fraction of the cost of a larger extruder
- All parts/replacement parts are available from Avanti
- Complete set includes:
- Mini Extruder
- Heating Block
- 2 O-Rings
- 2 Gas Tight syringes
- 100 Polycarbonate Membranes
- 100 Filter supports
Placing the stabilizer block-extruder assembly on a hot plate achieves rapid temperature control for lipids that have transition temperatures above room temperature.
- Optional heating block allows the extrusion of vesicles at elevated temperatures, which is critical for the successful production of vesicles from phospholipids with a phase transition temperature above room temperature
- Generate unilamellar liposomes ranging from 30nm-1 µm when assembled with appropriate polycarbonate membrane
- Useful for a wide variety of lipid composition
- Interchangeable with 250 µL and 1 mL syringes
The particle size distribution of unilamellar vesicles prepared by extrusion is a function of the number of passes through the extruder membrane.
Hydrated lipid solutions will initially form large, multilamellar vesicles. After the initial pass through a membrane, the particle size distribution will tend towards bimodal. After sufficient passes through the membrane, a unimodal, normal distribution is obtained. A minimum of eleven passes through the extruder membrane is recommended for most lipids.
Placing the heating block assembly on a hot plate achieves rapid temperature control for lipids that have transition temperatures above room temperature.
- Assembly – detailed instructions on assembly of the Avanti Mini-Extruder
- Extrusion – detailed instructions on extrusion of liposomes
- Cleaning – detailed instructions on cleaning of syringes